Education and research
- The Plant Science TREE
- Teaching Tools in plant biology. Teaching tools developed by the American Society of Plant Biologists
- ePlant is an electronic resource to explore gene expression, variation, protein structure etc by University of Toronto.
- Science and Plants for Schools features many activities for primary and secondary students.
- Nature “Special” about “Building the 21st Century Scientist“.
- Campus Flora Map of the University of Sydney by Rosanne Quinnell. Rosanne has also written some papers on the usefulness of mobile apps to address ‘plant blindness’. See Rosanne’s Google Scholar profile.
- Plant Tissue Virtual Slides – these are amazing virtual slides of plant tissues created by Rosanne Quinnell.
Plant science-related blogs
Papers and other information related to plant science education
- The Planet Needs More Plant Scientists is an opinion article in “The Scientist” by former ASPS President Alan Jones argueing for the need of more plant scientists to meet future challenges of food production.
- Meeting of African Educators to discuss teaching tools for future African plant scientists.
- Current status & future challenges of UK Plant Science is a comprehensive document explaining prepared by UK Plant Sciences Federation. Education starts on page 18; look at the graph on Page 19.
- The Gatsby Plant Science Summer School: Inspiring the Next Generation of Plant Science Researchers provides evidence that early exposure of students to plant biology can influence student behavior and willingness to pursue plant sciences.
- Vision and Change is a “call to action” for undergraduate education prepared by the members of the world largest scientific Society, AAAS.
- The Teaching of Photosynthesis in Secondary School: A History of the Science Approach about misconceptions, some historic references and possible solutions.
Other important plant science internet sites