click here to Meet a plant scientist
A series of short, fun and engaging talks and tours will be organised around the country to explain the pivotal role plant scientists and agriculturists play in feeding and clothing us all.
We will present some of our research and explain how it will help meet the challenges posed by a growing world population and a changing climate. We’ll emphasise the diversity of plant science. The fact that some of us wear lab coats and rarely grow a plant in soil, while others conduct field trials or predict yields by satellite.
The aim of these sessions is to explain what we do, to highlight its importance to society and hopefully to inspire more young people to consider plant science as an exciting career.
ASPS National Science Week activities by state
Feel free to get in contact with the organising plant scientist for the event you are interested in using their green e-mail link below.
Southern Cross University – Bronwyn Barkla
- Saturday August 14th, 10 am -12 pm Farming for our future. P
- Videos https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCjVjret6uSjLV-oQh-iMEwaixzbn1zLm
- These three videos from Southern Cross Plant Science ECR Staff and HDR Students highlight the work being carried out within the Faculty of Science and Engineering at Southern Cross University.Dr. Priyakshee Borpatra Gohain – Breeding mustard suitable for Australian AgricultureDr. Jay Anderson – Plants and Fungi Friends and FoeMs. Janelle Schaffer – Exploring Plant Compounds
University of Sydney – Mary Byrne, Brent Kaiser, Robert Park, Marcus Heisler, Claudia Keitel
A series of short and engaging talks from scientists at CSIRO and the Australian National University highlighting the challenges we face in feeding another two billion people by the middle of the century and the pivotal role plant scientists will play in meeting these challenges. The talks will be followed by tours of the science laboratories and plant growth facilities.
The Science Week events at the CSIRO and ANU in Canberra (14-22 August) on the topic of “Plant Science Safeguarding our Future Food Security” have been cancelled due to Covid.
Instead, we will begin loading videos online that will enable you to meet members of the Australian Society of Plant Scientists, hear about their research and tour their laboratories:
Videos that allow you to “Meet a Plant Scientist and ASPS Members”:
Talks prepared for the CSIRO/ANU National Science Week Events:
Virtual tours of plant science laboratories:
- Wednesday, 4th August 2.30-4.30 pm Primary Teacher National Science Week activity workshop
- Tuesday, 31 st August 9.30-11.30 am, 12.30-2.30 pm School year 7 to 10 – Hands on workshop “Food – Different by Design”
- Flyer HERE,
- online resources TasteTomorrow website activities experiments
- Sunday, 22nd August 10 am -12.30 pm Plant Science Safeguarding our Future Food Security
Queensland University of Technology – Brett Williams
- Virtual labs of the QUT facilities. Click on the biological science to get a tour of the biology labs and a tour of the teaching labs.https://cdn.qut.edu.au/media/qut-science-experience-anz/https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=cEBNvWzjjw7