click here to Meet a plant scientist
A series of short, fun and engaging talks and tours will be organised around the country to explain the pivotal role plant scientists and agriculturists play in feeding and clothing us all.
We will present some of our research and explain how it will help meet the challenges posed by a growing world population and a changing climate. We’ll emphasise the diversity of plant science. The fact that some of us wear lab coats and rarely grow a plant in soil, while others conduct field trials or predict yields by satellite.
The aim of these sessions is to explain what we do, to highlight its importance to society and hopefully to inspire more young people to consider plant science as an exciting career.
ASPS National Science Week activities by state
Feel free to get in contact with the organising plant scientist for the event you are interested in using their green e-mail link below.
Queensland University of Technology – Brett Williams
Camperdown campusking site or similar
king site or similar
Southern Cross University – Bronwyn Barkla
- Saturday August 14th, 10 am -12 pm Farming for our future. Program details can be downloaded HERE. (will add link to pdf file )
A series of short and engaging talks from scientists at CSIRO and the Australian National University highlighting the challenges we face in feeding another two billion people by the middle of the century and the pivotal role plant scientists will play in meeting these challenges. The talks will be followed by tours of the science laboratories and plant growth facilities. Booking will be online soon.
- Thursday 19 August 2021 from 10:00 am at CSIRO Agriculture and Food (Discovery Building, Acton)
- Bus trip to the CSIRO crop field sites at Boorowa (day trip)
- For bookings visit: https://events.csiro.au/PSSFFS
- Saturday 21 August at 10:00 am and 2:00 pm at The Australian National University
- Talks and tours (Robertson Lecture Theatre)
- For bookings visit: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/science-week-tickets-164928554747
- Wednesday, 4th August 2.30-4.30 pm Primary Teacher National Science Week activity workshop
- Tuesday, 17th August 9.30-11.30 am, 12.30-2.30 pm School year 7 to 10 – Hands on workshop “Food – Different by Design”
- Sunday, 15th August 2.30 – 4.30 pm Public – Hands on workshop “Food – Different by Design”
- online resources TasteTomorrow website activities experiments
- Thursday 19 August 4.00-5.30pm
- Saturday 21 August 11am-12.30pm
- Sunday, 22nd August 10 am -12.30 pm Plant Science Safeguarding our Future Food Security
Flinders University – Kathy Soole